Wage rates (male and female)
The maintenance of a uniform rate of pay for each occupation is inherent in the Public Services Commission Manual and Craft Workers system of wage regulation. Thus no variation from the scheduled rates shall be introduced by any employing authority without first obtaining the sanction of the Public Services Commission Joint Negotiating Committee.
The annual pay settlement for all groups of manual and craft workers will no longer be the same as that which is applicable for UK Local Authorities’ manual and craft workers.
Last Updated - February 2016
A) General Workers
- Supervisors – Subject to sub-paragraph (ii) and Appendix 1 hereof, the weekly rates of pay of Foremen, Sub-foremen and Gangers shall be a matter for determination by the JNC. The current agreed structure for these grades is at Appendix 2.
- Others – The grades and categories of other general workers shall be in accordance with the National Jobs as contained in Appendix 1 hereof, and subject to the provisions contained therein. Their weekly rates of pay being the grade rates which are laid out in Appendix 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.
- Airport Employees – The weekly rates of pay of special graded employments shall be the grade rates laid out in Appendix 9 and 11. The grading of these employees shall be a matter for negotiation between the representatives of the Employees' Side of the Public Services Commission Joint Negotiating Committee and Airport Management of the Department of Infrastructure. When negotiated, the gradings shall be notified by management to the Employers' Side for reporting to the Joint Negotiating Committee. A Local Agreement effective 1 November 2004 (dated 9/10/06) in respect of Airport Fire Fighters, consolidates all previous local agreements in place.
- Water Workers – The weekly rates of pay of employees at the Manx Utilities Authority are laid out in Appendix 9. The grading of these employees shall be a matter for negotiation between representatives of the Employees' Side of the Public Services Commission Joint Negotiating Committee and the Manx Utilities Authority. When negotiated the gradings shall be notified by management to the Secretary of the Employer's Side for reporting to the Joint Negotiating Committee.
- Leisure Workers – The grading and local terms and conditions of this group shall be a matter for negotiation between representatives of the Employees’ Side of the JNC and the Department. A Local Agreement, effective 1 September 1997, is in place for Manual Workers employed at the National Sports Centre.
- Traffic Wardens – The weekly rate of pay of Traffic Wardens at the Department of Infrastructure shall be the rates laid out in Appendix 9. The grading of these employees shall be a matter for negotiation between representatives of the Employees’ Side of the Joint Negotiating Committee and the Department. Local agreements which vary the gradings should be notified by management to the Secretary of the Employers’ Side for ratification by the Council.
- Social Care Workers for the Elderly in Residential Care – The scale of pay applicable to this group of employees on the staff of the Department of Health and Social Care shall be the rates as laid out in Appendix 9 of this agreement. It should be noted that all other terms and conditions of employment in relation to this group will remain unchanged.
- Young Employees – Employees under 18 years of age shall be paid in accordance with the undermentioned scale:
|Age – Years||Percentage of Adult Rate|
Note re Paragraph iii to vi above: Any decisions of management regarding the grading of employees within these staff groups may only be made within the constraints imposed in delegations of authority issued by the Public Services Commission.
- Building and Civil Engineering – The weekly rates of pay of building and civil engineering craftsmen, craftsmen's labourers and apprentices shall be the rates laid out in Appendix 11.
- Engineering Craftsmen – The weekly rates of pay of engineering craftsmen, namely - Blacksmith, Brass Finisher, Coach Body Maker, Coach Painter, Coach Trimmer, Coppersmith, Engine Fitter, Engine Turner, Millwright, Motor Mechanic, Pattern-maker, Plater, Riveter, Sheet Metal Worker, Welder and Wheelwright and apprentices - shall be the laid out in Appendix 11.
- Fleet Services – The annual rates of pay are set out in a Local Agreement, dated 27 October 2014 and effective 1 November 2014, which introduces Flexible Working and Basic Pay within the Fleet Services Section of the Highways Services Division of the Department of Infrastructure.
- Electricians – The weekly rates of pay of electricians, and apprentices shall be the rates laid out in Appendix 11 and 13.
The weekly rates of pay of craftsman's labourers shall be the rates laid out in Appendix 11.
Note: A Craftsman's Labourer is a labourer who is permanently employed on a full-time basis with and under the direction of a craftsman.
C) General Provisions
- General Workers not referred to in Paragraph 5(a) hereof – The grades and categories of employees who are not referred to in Paragraph 5(a) hereof shall be determined by negotiation between the Employees' Side of the Joint Negotiating Committee and the appropriate Board or Department of Government or Local Authority. The outcome of such negotiations shall be reported to the Joint Negotiating Committee for approval. In the event of a failure to reach agreement, the PSC Arbitration Agreement will apply.
- Casual Workers – An employee engaged on a casual basis (being a basis which does not provide for at least one week's work) shall be paid 2p an hour more than the standard hourly rate appropriate to the class or grade of work upon which he is employed. Provided that, if the period of casual employment in any week amounts to not less than the standard working week, the employee may be engaged for that week at the standard rate of wages prevailing.
- Shift Workers – For the purposes of this Agreement, a 'Shift Worker' means an employee who works on rotating shifts in immediate succession covering a period of 24 hours or on alternating shifts either in immediate succession or overlapping but covering a portion of 24 hours only.
Note: Details of the wage rates currently in force can be found in Appendices 9 to 13 of this Agreement.