Health and welfare
a) When 3 or more employees are engaged on the same job, and it is practicable to provide First Aid Boxes, Shelter and Accommodation for clothing and meals, Toilet and Sanitary arrangements (eg hot and cold water, soap and towels, etc), such facilities should be provided by the employing authority.
b) Accidents at Work – The procedure to follow in the case of accidents at work is covered under Appendix 3, paragraph 25. However, further guidance is provided below to help staff who are injured at work, particularly where there may be a necessity to make a claim against the employer.
Accidents at Work
1. Your employer has a duty to provide you with a safe and healthy working environment and method of working.
2. You have a duty to ensure that your employer is informed of any potential hazards or unsafe working practices.
3. Notwithstanding the above, this note is designed to advise you of the procedures to be followed should an accident happen in order to best protect your rights and interests.
- Ensure that any accident is reported as fully and factually as possible and the details are recorded in the accident book.
- Where you feel that the accident has been caused by negligence on the part of the employer then you, or your union representative, must inform the employer of the fact, in writing, as soon as reasonably possible. A pro-forma letter is attached to these guidance notes but clearly it will require adaptation in the light of individual circumstances.
- If you intend to consider making a claim against your employer, you are strongly advised to consult with your union or an advocate in order to determine whether or not you have a suitable case to proceed.
- Your employer will be insured against claims such as this and will be advised how to act by his insurance company. That advice will almost certainly include advice not to admit liability.
Notwithstanding the above there is no necessity for the situation to become unnecessarily combative and this is best achieved by both employer and employee confining any comments to factual matters.
Civil legal aid may be available to help you depending upon your circumstances.
Last Updated - February 2016