Training, further education and costs
G1 – Training
The Public Services Commission or a department may require a civil servant, as part of their official duties, to undertake training to improve their skills in respect of either their current or future duties.
There are a variety of training options available and the Learning Education and Development, (LEaD), can assist in selecting the most appropriate option. These may include:
A) Internal Courses
- Introduction to Government (arranged by LEaD) and Induction Courses (arranged internally by departments) for new appointees
- General Courses (of Service-wide relevance)
- Specialised Courses (particular to certain departments)
- To appropriate departments of the UK Civil Service
- To other relevant organisations
C) External Courses
- At the Isle of Man College
- At the UK Civil Service College or other centres of learning
- At other specialist training centres both on and off the Island
A full list of all the Internal Courses can be found on the Learning Education and Development website.
G2 – Training courses - Costs
Where a civil servant is required by his department to attend a training course specific to the work of the department, the full cost of such a course should be met by the department concerned.
Where the course is of Service-wide relevance and has been arranged centrally by the Office of Human Resources the full cost will usually be met by the Commission.
Time spent on such Training Courses will be regarded as official duty.
G3 – Further education
Departments may also provide financial assistance, up to the limits set out in Regulation G8, to civil servants who wish to acquire academic qualifications which will enable them to perform more effectively in either their current or future duties or which will improve their personal or career development.
The decision on whether financial assistance should be granted will take into consideration:
- the relevance of the training to the civil servant’s current post (where it may be beneficial but not essential)
- the cost and duration of the training
- and the operational requirements of the department.
In all cases, civil servants will be required to complete the Application Form at Annex G1.