G8 – Rates of financial assistance
Where a department agrees to grant financial assistance in accordance with Regulation G4(b) above, the following rates apply:
- 80% of fees (including examination fees) should be paid or, if a civil servant has received assistance towards course fees from the Department of Education and Children, up to 80% of the remaining balance.
- 50% of the cost of text books, materials and equipment, with the civil servant paying the first £5 of such cost, subject to a normal maximum payment of £75 per course.
For courses and examinations held off Island, a civil servant may also be granted by their department, 75% of the approved rates of subsistence and 75% of travelling expenses.
G9 – Undertaking to repay financial assistance
In all cases where financial assistance is to be granted under Regulation G4, the civil servant must complete and sign the Application Form at Annex G1. By signing the form, the civil servant will be agreeing to repay some or all of the financial assistance if granted, in the following circumstances:
- if the civil servant fails to take an examination of the body or organisation concerned within a reasonable period or
- if the civil servant discontinues the course of study or fails to show satisfactory progress
In the above circumstances, a refund will be sought of the total amount of financial assistance granted, including travel and subsistence or a proportion of the total amount that the Commission considers reasonable, having regard to the circumstances of the case.
Additionally, if the civil servant
- leaves the Civil Service during the period of study or
- having completed the course, leaves within 2 years from the date of obtaining the qualification (Date of Certificate or pass notification if earlier)
a refund may be sought of up to 50% of the total amount of financial assistance granted (including travel and subsistence expenses).
The Public Services Commission will, after consultation with the Accounting Officer and having considered the facts of the matter, determine the actual amount to be repaid to the department, up to a maximum of 50%.
G10 – Responsibilities of the Accounting Officer
The Accounting Officer shall ensure that:
- the Application Form at Annex G1 has been completed and authorised (by himself or another nominated officer) and that the original form has been retained by the department and a copy sent to the Office of Human Resources for retention on the civil servant's personal file
- the Secretary of the Public Services Commission is notified if a civil servant who has been granted financial assistance fails to take an examination within a reasonable period or fails to show satisfactory progress in his studies or discontinues a course of study
- the Secretary of the Public Services Commission is notified of the total amount of financial assistance granted should a civil servant leave the Civil Service during the period of study, or within 2 years of obtaining the qualification, along with their views on the amount to be repaid.