Acceptance of outside appointments


Post Employment Occupations

a) To safeguard the basic principles of propriety, a civil servant or former civil servant holding the grade of Open Structure Grade 7 or equivalent or higher grade at the time of leaving the Civil Service shall not accept an appointment outside the Civil Service in the Isle of Man Business Community for a period of one year after ceasing to be a civil servant without the prior written approval of the Public Services Commission.

b) In determining whether a civil servant or former civil servant may accept such an appointment, there shall be a general presumption that such appointments are favourable but the Public Services Commission will consider whether that civil servant or former civil servant in his official capacity has had dealings with the prospective employer or has had access to commercially sensitive information about the prospective employer’s competitors.

c) It will be the responsibility of the civil servant or former civil servant to advise the Public Services Commission of any intention to take up such an appointment which will include the acceptance of a directorship in the Isle of Man Business Community.

d) The Isle of Man Business Community shall include any business off-Island which transacts business on the Island.

Secondary Occupations

a) The approval of the Accounting Officer must be obtained before a civil servant can undertake part-time work for payment outside normal official hours. An application must be submitted in writing.

b) Generally, a civil servant must not:

  1. accept a position in any society or in any trading, commercial, industrial or financial firm or company in respect of which he is liable to be called away during normal official hours or
  2. engage in any activity which would in any way tend to impair his usefulness as a civil servant or which might in any way conflict with the interests of his department or be inconsistent with his position as a civil servant.

c) where a civil servant is dissatisfied with the decision of the Accounting Officer, he may apply in writing to the Accounting Officer requesting that the decision be reviewed by him. If the accounting Officer feels that there are good grounds for reviewing the decision, he may grant approval or may refer the civil servant’s application to the Public Services Commission for advice before deciding the outcome of the review.