Providing evidence of sickness


If a civil servant is unable to attend work because they are ill, they must provide evidence of the illness and the cause of the incapacity in order to qualify for sick pay. The Commission can refuse to pay sick pay if satisfactory evidence is not provided.

Evidence of the incapacity must be submitted to the Line Manager in the form of a certificate from a qualified medical practitioner or by way of a sickness declaration form completed by the civil servant themselves (referred to as a self-certificate).