Recovery of loss to public funds


On dismissal for an offence involving loss to public funds, any sums unpaid, for example in respect of salary or wages up to the last day of duty, may be withheld as a set-off against the loss (the sum may be deducted from the civil servant's pay). Similar set-offs should be made if someone who would have been dismissed resigns before the dismissal can be put into effect.

If the money recovered from these sources is less than the loss to public funds it may be possible to recover the balance from any superannuation benefits payable.

The Office of Human Resources Pensions Division should be consulted at an early stage in such cases.