Although this is a voluntary role undertaken in addition to their substantive duties, Contact Officers are appointed following a formal application and interview process and have participated in a bespoke training programme.
Contact officers have also been supplied with a Handbook for reference purposes.
In some situations Contact Officers will:
- meet with members of staff to listen to their concerns about behaviour they are experiencing or an allegation that has been made against them
- explain IOM Government’s Fairness at Work Policy, resolution options and procedures with respect to discrimination, bullying and harassment
- enable members of staff to explore and consider their options for resolution of their concerns in order that they can reach their own, informed decision about any steps that they might take
The same Contact Officer will not assist both the complainant and the respondent.
Contact officer toolkit
Key points for Contact Officers
Contact Officers provide independent support and information to Isle of Man Government staff who believe they are experiencing discrimination, bullying and/or harassment or who are accused of discrimination, bullying and/or harassment.
Contact Officers will maintain an impartial, non-judgmental view in relation to the member of staff, what the member of staff has to say and any decisions that the member of staff reaches.
- they will listen emphatically and provide support but they are not counsellors
- they will provide information about available options but will not take decisions for the member of staff or tell the staff member what to do.
- in some situations they may attend a meeting if requested by a member of staff in order to provide support for that staff member – however, when doing so they are not acting in a trade union or staff side capacity and will ensure that the member of staff understands this
Contact Officer Behaviours
During an interview it is important that a Contact Officer acts in a way that encourages the client to draw their own conclusions and identify and solve their own problems for themselves. In this way they will be helped to grow and develop and are likely to be more committed to the solution.
List of contact officers
Telephone: +44 1624 686595
Telephone: +44 1624 687584
Telephone: +44 1624 685815
Telephone: +44 1624 642668
Telephone: +44 1624 685558
Department of Education, Sport and Culture
Telephone: +44 1624 693500
Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture
Telephone: +44 1624 695740
Telephone: +44 1624 685849
Department of Home Affairs
Telephone: +44 1624 631581
Department of Infrastructure
Telephone: +44 1624 685900
Telephone: +44 1624 651562
Gambling Supervision Commision
Telephone: +44 1624 698322
Telephone: +44 1624 650720
Telephone: +44 1624 686436
Telephone: +44 1624 687183
Telephone: +44 1624 648133
Telephone: +44 1624 685282
Telephone: +44 1624 686287
Telephone: +44 1624 687032
Telephone: +44 1624 686393