Whenever reasonable the use of informal resolution of a Fairness at Work issue will be offered and encouraged as a way forward.
Litmus Test – think before you speak or act and consider:
- Would you say or do this in front of your partner, children or parents?
- Would you say or do this in front of a colleague of the same sex?
- Would you like to see your behaviour reported in the local press?
- Would you like a member of your family to be on the receiving end of behaviour the same as yours?
If you feel that you need to challenge someone else’s behaviour, it is important to remain calm and:
- Describe the behaviour in neutral terms
Example – 'There have been occasions like the one this afternoon and last Tuesday when your voice was raised/very loud when you spoke to me in front of the others.'
- Describe the effect on your performance
Example – 'This makes it difficult to concentrate on what’s being said/difficult to take part in things/difficult to do my job.'
- Describe how you would like the behaviour to be different
Example – 'I would like / prefer to hear about feedback / have problems highlighted in a less public setting / in a less forceful way / in a quieter tone.'